Alsop photo
I am sure all of you have noticed the gorgeous panoramic photo now hanging in our lobby.
I originally thought it was a HeritageNZ photo of the Kumutoto stream, but no, I was wrong.
Research established that it is a valuable historic piece, an enlarged print of a photo taken about 1974, and titled 'New Zealand Bush Scene.'
The original, which is a black and white photo, 38 cm by 68 cm, taken by Whites Aviation Ltd, and hand-coloured by Peter Alsop, is held at the Alexander Turnbull Library. Its reference number, if you want to see the original, is PAColl-D-1599.
Its description is given as, 'A ground level photograph taken by Whites Aviation Ltd of a native bush scene, showing (left to right) a bouldered stream, nikau palms, and various intertwined species of native plants from ground to canopy level.
'Inscription on reverse reads: "New Zealand bush, a stream murmurs through a giant forest typifying the loveliness of Northland."'
I must admit I blinked when I read there were nikau palms, as I had thought that they were cabbage trees. But no, they are nikau palms. A sharp-eyed archivist wrote that description.
Skip
The skip is full. Please do not put anything more in it. It will be taken away and replaced in due course.
Party
And don't forget our party on the 19th. That is 5pm on Sunday 19 July, and it is a sausage sizzle. Bring your own drink, and a glass (if you use one), plus, if you feel like it, a small plate of snacks.

No comments:
Post a Comment