Search This Blog

Saturday, December 7, 2024

THE SHOW AND TELL

7/12/24                                              THE SHOW AND TELL SHOW

Marc and Martin explaining the details

The Show and Tell, in my humble estimation, was a roaring success.  Many thanks to Damien and Brigid, who organised the room so well, and to the teams from TBIG, Aoraki, and Studio Pacific who were so friendly and patient in explaining the plans and pictures they had put up on the walls.

In the morning, the team representatives were Chris, Martin, Marc and Gazelle, and in the afternoon Martin came back to support Max, Kirk, and Megan.  They seemed tireless, with an enthusiasm that seemed to enliven everyone they talked to.  Chris had a wonderful set of Aoraki plans, and sent me scans for future HGNewsflashes.   And oh, I found that the fire window I used in an earlier post to try to explain the remediation that will happen to the B apartment small bedroom window was the wrong sort.  What they are planning is a "fire spandrel."  Look it up, or (like me) wait for one to be installed for the mystery to be solved.  Whatever, I feel totally confident that they know what they are doing.

Another Show and Tell, managed by David Dunsheath, will be held in 6C over lunchtime on Saturday.

English Elm (Ulmus procera)

That is the big tree at the street end of our lower driveway.  On Thursday, mysteriously, Damien found a notice on our lobby door saying that the tree team of WCC are going to take it down.  But when I checked, the notice was gone.  Then it was even more mysteriously discovered on Damien's desk.  He put it on the foyer table, and it disappeared again.  Luckily, in the meantime I had taken a photo of it.


My first reaction is that it could not be done as it is a heritage tree.  Or so I thought.  On investigation, I found that though it might be historic, it is not rated heritage.  Not being a native probably made the difference.

However, it is an important tree.  Not only is it a good guide for taxi drivers to find the right driveway, but there are very few historic trees left in downtown Wellington. 

So Joy Dunsheath got on the phone, and worked the miracle.  There is a hold on its removal.









No comments:

Post a Comment

The party!!

  I forgot to take photos! (But hopefully someone else memorialised the Welcome Home Party, and will forward the pix to druettjo@gmail.com) ...