Windage:
In the last HGNewsflash I mentioned the effect of wind force on the building, and asked for instances of creaking. The answers were interesting. No creaks, but rattling windows, particularly in the kitchens of A apartments.
In the last HGNewsflash I mentioned the effect of wind force on the building, and asked for instances of creaking. The answers were interesting. No creaks, but rattling windows, particularly in the kitchens of A apartments.
This, as Project Director Martin tells me,
is a lot more relevant than what I had originally in mind. I was thinking of ships, not a tall building
that is firmly pinned to the granite with 100% foundations.
The original question, from Marc of Studio
Pacific, was for information that was important to the design of the windows
and infill walling below on the south side of the building, plus the rooftop
fan mounting at the top of the riser shaft.
Why ships?
Back in the day, the pressure of the wind was a welcome force, pushing on
the broad sheets of canvas, and getting the ship on its way. The helmsman had to watch
for any flutters in the sails, as a change in the wind pressure and direction meant that he
had to adjust the tiller or the wheel.
It was a highly skilled job.
The pressure of the wind also affected the
hull. If the side of the ship was high, then a gust could force a nasty roll.
Nowadays this is a big factor in the sailing of container ships, car boats, any
vessel with high sides. Compensating for this must be constant and demanding.
In Taipei, at the really terrific Evergreen maritime museum, there is an
interactive exhibit where one can try to sail a container ship, not just
steering and adjusting for windage, but loading and unloading containers, too.
I found out for certain that I am not qualified to navigate a container ship!
Meetings.
My report on the very useful workshopping on Tuesday morning and then again in the early evening has been stalled by political events.
More very soon.


No comments:
Post a Comment